"For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

"For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified."
1 Corinthians 2:2

"For
the preaching of the CROSS is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the POWER OF God." 1 Corinthians 1:18


Jesus said: "If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me." Luke 9:23


And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven. Colossians 1:20


"But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." Galatians 6:14


Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; Colossians 2:14


"Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong." 2 Corinthians 12:10


"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

Jeremiah 29: 11-13 NIV


" Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” ~ Jesus (Matthew 11:28-30)


Sunday, April 29, 2012

Good Works

I heard a great quote at church today:

"We aren't saved by good works. We are saved for good works."

2 comments:

Jake and Alayna said...

I love that! So true...

Aubrey said...

Yep, we're saved by God's grace...by Christ's shed blood. We are saved by His righteousness, not ours. There's nothing required of us to get into heaven to live with God again except believe on Jesus Christ. Isaiah said our "righteousness are as filthy rags." (Isaiah 64:6). So it's not just that we aren't required to live the law to go to heaven, it's that we CAN'T live it to God's standards...it's impossible and God knows that. Jesus said if you're angry with your brother, you'll be judged the same as a murderer (Matthew 5:21)...He amps up the law throughout Matthew chapter 5. He's showing us how we ALL fall short and cannot, in any way make it to heaven by our "good works"...we are wretched sinners, no matter how hard that is to hear, it's the way it is according to God's standards. James 2:10 says if you brake just one point of the law, you've broken the whole law. Every single one of us falls short and we're even cursed if we try to justify ourselves to God by living the law to attain salvation (Galatians 3:10). The beautiful part about all of this is, it brings to light why Jesus Christ's sacrifice was so amazing and why we need him soooo BADLY. Believers in Jesus Christ engage in good works for the sole purpose of glorifying Him and what He did for us. Good works are done out of love and gratitude for having already been saved. It's not a rewards system...otherwise our good works would be done in vain, not out of love. Grace is the free gift of God (Ephesians 2:8). People asked Jesus what they might do to work the works of God and Jesus told them to believe on Him who He had sent (John 6:28). Jesus said, if you love me, keep my commandments, then he said "this is my commandment: that ye love one another as I have loved you." 1 John 3:23 says: "And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment." Christ blotted out all the ordinances (Colossians 2:14) and fulfilled the law (Matthew 5:17). Those who do not believe Jesus Christ is sufficient will be judged by the law (Christ didn't abolish the law, he fulfilled it and those who believe on Him are freed from the curse of the law). People who have been born again (John 3:7) know it is through Jesus Christ's shed blood that they will be saved to live with God again and that there is nothing they can do to add to that or help earn them a place. These people know they are to love as He loved. Love fulfills the law (Romans 13:8-10). Doing good works and keeping His commandment isn't going to save us or even make up the difference, but we know that it glorifies our Maker and fulfills what He created us for (Ephesians 2:10)...and most importantly, it shows our deep love and respect for our God and Savior, Jesus Christ.