"For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

"For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified."
1 Corinthians 2:2

"For
the preaching of the CROSS is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the POWER OF God." 1 Corinthians 1:18


Jesus said: "If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me." Luke 9:23


And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven. Colossians 1:20


"But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." Galatians 6:14


Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; Colossians 2:14


"Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong." 2 Corinthians 12:10


"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

Jeremiah 29: 11-13 NIV


" Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” ~ Jesus (Matthew 11:28-30)


Saturday, March 31, 2012

God's Word to wives and husbands

Word Study

HELP

(Hebrew = ezer) aid: -- help
(Hebrew = azar) azar = prime root: to surround, ie, protect or aid: help, succour

MEET

(Hebrew = kenegdo) corresponding to, counterpart to, equal to matching


The traditional teaching for the woman as help (meet) is that of assistant or helper subservient to the one being helped. However, if you look at the context of every other use of the word ezer in the scripture, you will see that ezer refers to either God or military allies. In all other cases the one giving the help is superior to the one receiving the help. Adding kenegdo (meet) modifies the meaning to that of equal rather than superior status.

In Genesis 2:18, the Hebrew expression ezer kenegdo appears, meaning "one who is equal to the other and who surrounds, protects, aids, helps, supports." There is no indication of inferiority or of a secondary position in an hierarchical separation of the male and female "spheres" of responsibility, authority, or social position.


Now, in Ephesians Chapter 5 Paul admonishes wives to submit to their husbands in the Lord and husbands to love their wives as Christ loves the church. If this passage brings any feelings of pride, anger, resentment, discrimination or oppression, then we're not interpreting it in context with the rest of the Bible. I say that because all these feelings derive from sin. Christ said a "good tree" (Christ) cannot bring forth evil fruit (sin) - Matthew 7. Also, this topic shouldn't be thought of as a "test" to see if we can overcome those feelings to be more "Christlike". James 1:13-14 says that God does not tempt us with evil: "...God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man. But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed."


So, to get things back in check - I decided to look at what the greatest teacher of all time had to say:


"Even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." ~Jesus Christ ( Matthew 20:28)


"Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ. But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant. And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted." ~ Jesus Christ (Matthew 23:10-12)


These scriptures are just skimming the surface of how amazing and beautiful our Lord and Savior is.

When I read the words of our Lord and God and learn about His character, this is what I see: If a husband is to treat his wife as Christ treats His church, then the husband's role is as the wife's ... to SERVE. This keeps both parties humble and submissive to the Lord and will never bring any sinful feelings as mentioned above. The role of the husband and wife will naturally fall in order with each other...which order is always in equality and Love and service to one another...always looking to Christ and ONLY Christ as our mediator to God (1Timothy2:5).


It's amazing how it all goes hand in hand and how God is truly no respecter of persons. "There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." (Galatians 3:28)


I thank our Lord, our God for such miraculous inspiration and clarity.

No comments: